We at MDG believe that the kitchen table is where the magic happens. Long conversations over family dinners about science class shenanigans or debates about whether or not Santa Claus is real after breakfast of pancakes and bacon—is it us or was Mom unusually mum during that conversation? Homework is done here, flashcards of the state capitals are memorized here, thousands of games of Battleship or Go Fish are played here. We spend so much time with our families at the kitchen table. It's important to keep it comfortable, beautiful, and a place to start conversations. Below are MDG's kid-friendly kitchen table must-haves.
1. A bench with plenty of pillows. Use a cushion in a heavy, flat weave to make spots and stains less noticeable and to keep signs of wear and tear from fidgety kids at bay. Colorful, fun pillows are comfy and easy to change out.
2. Make the kiddos feel special and proudly display their artwork in a framed gallery, on a clothesline or add magnetic elements to chalkboard paint and have them hang their favorites right on the wall.
3. An eye catching light fixture. We like whimsical, colorful or out of this world.
4. A sturdy table top. Nobody needs to worry about putting down a table cloth every day. Choose a top that can handle a little spilled milk or a few raucous games of Yahtzee.
5. A useful centerpiece. Try a large bowl for apples for easy snacking, a box of succulents for kids to take care of, or a pot of basil, rosemary and sage in a fruit-themed planter that you can have little chef pick to season dinner.
6. A no-stress window treatment. We like out-of-the-way Roman shades or sturdy and easy to clean wooden blinds.